To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Saturday 2nd February – Bridgetown, Barbados.


Another place we’ve been before.  Barbados is almost certainly a fantastic island, although there wasn’t a lot in Bridgetown to grab our attention last time we visited.  We’ve got an excursion planned this afternoon, and because Peter has work to do, we decided we’d hang around the ship until lunchtime, it was very important that we weren’t late. I did pop into the terminal though, just to check out the shops and the free wi-fi.

I keep saying “How lucky are we?” don’t I.  Well, I’m gonna say it again.  How lucky are we?  The cruise director has arranged an excursion for the entertainment team. (PS, these don’t come free, but we do get them at cost price).  Anyway, he’s arranged another catamaran, and we are going............  Wait for it................  Swimming with turtles.   As I said before, HOW LUCKY ARE WE? 

So at 1 pm 36 members of the entertainment team, from young slim dancers to older, crinklier lecturers and crafts people set off for a fantastic trip.  As before, blue skies, hot sun, rum punch and loads of music.

We watched the coastline of Barbados pass us by until we reached the spot where the crew know the turtles will be, and where they will appear to be fed.  We all donned lifejackets, goggles and snorkels and followed the lad from the crew who went into the water with a bag of fish pieces. 

All I can say is “BRILLIANT!” I could also say “FANTASTIC”, and “AWESOME” too, because it was. The turtles swam under us, and up towards us sometimes. In comparison to the wonder we were experiencing at them, they seemed oblivious to the stir they were causing, concentrating on the next bit of food, and getting past all the irritating bodies everywhere. Obviously, our cameras couldn’t take pictures underwater and sadly we don’t have any photos to show you. But, Linda Schiffam, the jewellery crafts person did, so here are her pictures.







Oh my, oh my, oh my.  Superb!  

(If your wondering how I managed, I put me contact lenses in for the afternoon.  I could swim and see at the same time.  Yippee!)

 It’s a shame we’ve got to the end of the Caribbean.  I wonder if I can get the Captain to go back to the beginning and we can do it all again.  Now we have five sea days until we get to the Azores.  Good really, we could do with the rest.

1 comment: