To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Friday 27 December 2013

Canaries Cruise Day 1

Canaries Cruise - Day 1, Sunday 22nd December - All Aboard!

It all started so well.  The drive to Tilbury was easy and straight forward, and we arrived at the ship well in time.  We met the new Cruise Director, Frankie Anderson, who warned us that things were a bit chaotic, and were shown to our cabin in the bowels of the ship.  We like this one though, it's nice and big.

The warning signs appeared straight away though.  Just as we were putting our first bags in, an engineering type bloke in oily overalls appeared and immediately battened down our port holes.  Great big metal covers over our daylight!  Three days of bad weather was the whisper.  O Oh!

Marco's Bistro
It wasn't too bad today though to be honest.  We enjoyed lunch on board, got all Peter's stuff into the craft room, got to know the other crafters and managed to work out how the classes were going to pan out.  An evening meal the Marco Bistro, and although the ship was beginning to move a little I felt fine.  The ship began to move a little bit more by the time we'd got to bed, but not to worry, it just rocks you to sleep.  Peter won't have a class tomorrow, they'll have a sort of registration session.  That should be fun.   

Day 2, Monday 23rd December - Up and Down

Main Foyer
I woke several times last night, feeling the ship lurch forward and back. the sick bag fairy made her rounds and "do not disturb" signs appeared on the cabin doors as more and more people succumbed to the effects. I went up with Peter to the main foyer and helped with the registration session I managed to make it through to lunchtime, but the nausea was getting more and more persistent and in the end I too added my "do not disturb" notice to the row along our corridor.

And it just got worse.  As I laid in bed, the wardrobe doors would fly open and all four drawers slid out of the unit like something off a disney cartoon.  Then they would all slide back in again and the doors would slam shut.  The ship was lurching up and down like a seesaw, first the front end, then the bow.  Not comfortable for my stomach at all.

I stayed prone for the rest of the day. If I so much as sat up, wave after wave of nausea soon made sure I laid down again. The sea got rougher, the drawers and doors flew open with more voracity, and all I could think of was the promise that it would get better.  Peter came in and out, checking on me.  I just moaned.  Then the captain announced it was going to get worse, rising to gale force 9-10!

Me and the bed stayed close until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment