To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Saturday 11 January 2014

Day 14 - Saturday 4th Jan - Le Havre

Well this is a place we didn't expect to see, and since we've not been here before, it's quite a pleasant surprise.

Le Havre is a city, like any other city I suppose.  Good for shopping I think, but not a place for those of us like me n himself who like mountains, castles and roman ruins. 





We did however find a fantastic church in the centre of town.  I think it's called St Joseph's, but I haven't got the paperwork with me to check.  It's quite new, built in the 1940's and from the outside it doesn't look anything special, in fact you may think it stands out like a sore thumb. 











But looks can be deceiving.    Like the Auditorium we saw in Tenerife, the architect managed to design a building full of geometric shapes.  We were quite stunned by it.


From there we went to the Museum of Modern Art which contained loads of impressionist paintings.  Boudin, Monet, Matisse and a few others.  I discovered that I don't like Matisse but I really do like Monet (which is probably why I bought a poster print of one his paintings years ago.
I liked the art gallery and the way it was laid out, and I loved the fact that it was free, due to it being the first Saturday in the month.

Then we went to look at the Notre Dame Cathedral (not the famous one), but sadly it was closed.  To add to this, Peter was feeling a bit under the weather, so we decided it was time to hightail it back to the ship.

Once on board I was able to run a few errands and make sure all the passengers got their paintings and things back before they left the ship.  Tomorrow we all disembark and head for home, and in my case, work.  It's definitely been an eventful cruise, with some very high highs (at the top of the wave), all the way down to the stomach lurching lows.  I think I would need a few years to get over this one before I ever decided to do a Christmas Cruise to the Canaries again.

So, as I said, I'm off the ship tomorrow, but watch this space...........  I'll be back.   Very shortly as it happens.    


No comments:

Post a Comment