To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Friday 8 February 2013

Thursday 7th February – My last sea day


Tomorrow we’ll get to the Azores and Horta, a place I’m looking forward to.  The day after we’ll be Ponta Delgada, where I will board a plane and leave Peter and Co to continue the cruise without me.  I need to be back at work on Monday.  The ship will arrive in Tilbury on Thursday February 14th.

So in a way, it’s quite sad.  I’ve helped Peter set up his classes for the last time, I’ve cut enough paper for the last sessions, started packing my clothes and stuff and generally started to prepare to leave.  Awwwwww!

This has been an absolutely brilliant cruise.  I’ve had so many fantastic days, which I’ve shared in this blog, but there are many things I haven’t mentioned.  For instance, the  quizzes every night have been fun, and although we’ve not spent a lot of time in the Captains Club, the couple playing classical music there are very good, creating are wonderful pleasant atmosphere in the evening. 

There’s the day we crossed the equator, which I wrote about earlier and the quiz “Rock your socks off!” which all future passengers should attend if the opportunity arises.  The same applies to the pantomime, Cinderella, and the cut down version of Joseph’s Technicolour Dreamcoat, “Go Go Joseph”, which really was absolutely brilliant.  Andi Ford, the comedian, certainly made us chuckle too.   

The food has been very good too and much better than last year. ( Apparently that’s because they changed the chef).  The only thing lacking it seems is vanilla icecream.  (And Peter won’t eat any other flavour).

Downsides?  Well, I suppose you get used to the way things are done on this ship.  Beds are singles and there are no coffee making facilities in most of the cabins. There isn’t a launderette, which is really difficult after 6 weeks. The Eastern European waiters and waitresses don’t smile quite so quickly and easily as others and there are probably loads of other little extra’s and facilities on other ships that aren’t available on this one.  But if you talk to the passengers, the difference and the plus side of the ship is the atmosphere.  I can’t quite put my finger on what it is, a general friendliness which sort of exudes from everything and everyone, making you feel comfortable and at ease.  Although I am sure it doesn’t suit everyone, many of the passengers I’ve spoken to completely agree, and many of them keep coming back because they like this ship.

Me, well, I’ll be very sorry to leave.  Peter is already trying to work out when and which ship he’ll be working on next.   If it’s this one, and I can join him, I will be absolutely delighted. All I have to work out is how do I get the time off!

Tomorrow we’re in Horta.  I’ve not been before, so I’m really looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment