To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Saturday 20 January 2018

Saturday 20th January - Crossing the Equator

So what can I say about the last four days at sea?  Well. Peter and I have not spent quite so much time on the decks as we have in the past.  Maybe it's because we have seen it all before, or maybe it's because the cabin is so comfortable we are happy to spend hours here, me working on all my moth and bird pictures, trying to identify them, Peter just working, or maybe it's because it's getting really hot out there.

As always, there are loads of flying fish.  I tried to get some photographs, but they are just too fast.  I even tried through the port hole, because we are at the front of the ship very low down.  I set my camera up on the tripod, sports setting and on burst, so that it would take loads of photo's at once.  The porthole is quite high, and I had to sort of climb up into it to see out.  I must have sat there for half an hour, getting a crick in me neck and stiff joints.  Nothing!  Nada!  I gave up because it was time for lunch, and of course they all started leaping out of the water again.

And, as I said earlier, it's just got hotter and hotter outside.  It got to 33 degrees C yesterday, and this morning, at 8.30, it was already getting to unbearably hot. The ship is air conditioned, so it's nice to come into the cool, and I suspect most people will do just that. There are already quite a few red faces because of yesterday's sun, and maybe we'll get a few more today.  Not me I hope, because I know how easy it is to misjudge the sun and how painful that can be.

Peter's classes have continued as usual.  He's been getting anywhere between 45 and 60 people attend, which is good.  We had to move teaching location yesterday though, because the ceiling sprang a leak, (or the pipes just above it did).  There was a bit of a waterfall going on apparently.

We had the equator ceremony this morning, I have to admit that we did't go to watch it, and Peter had his class as usual in the afternoon, and the sea changed colour, going from blue black to dark green to bright green to muddy, tea coloured brown.  No sign of land, and there won't be for some time, but the fresh water of the Amazon can be detected a long way out.
The sea has gone muddy brown.  And we won't see land for many hours yet.
Peter and I have been throwing darts at the dart board in the evening.  I won't say playing darts, cos that involves aiming at things.  We've simply been going around the board, 1-20.  Peter is better at it than me.  Humph.

Tomorrow we will reach the mouth of the Amazon and Macapa pilot station.  I'm hoping for the first set of moths to land on board. I wonder what we will get?

No comments:

Post a Comment