To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Friday 3 February 2012

St Johns, Antigua

Awwwwwwww.  Despite waking up to see the brightly coloured town of St John's before us, today was a sad day.  My last one on the cruise.  My flight is scheduled for 5.30pm from VC Bird airport.  Peter and I planned a wander around St John's in the morning, then lunch back at the ship before I jumped into a taxi at about 3 o'clock. All good to go.  At breakfast, we noticed a slightly larger ship moored beside us, so went out to have a look. I didn't know Thomson's had their own cruise ships? I checked, they have 5 and Thomson Dream parked next door is the largest.
Breakfast finished, we went ashore and took a wander into St John's.  Cruising visitors beware! As soon as you walk off the pier, you are in the "We're gonna get your cash" zone, and they are very good at it.  It is a brilliant little mall of duty free, gift and craft shops, bars with wi-fi, designer clothes, jewellery and liquour stores. Beyond that are loads of little market stalls full of little things you just have to buy.  And I just had to buy.  (Presents of course). Next we saw the local fruit and vegetable markets, and more tourist gift traps.
There, the roads and streets look more as we've come to expect in the Caribbean, a little down and tatty.
We bought a couple of banana's, (I never realised that there are eating bananas and cooking bananas), delicious  Then it was a cold drink each in the bar before we were back on the ship. Lunch, last bits into my rucksack, because Peter is going to bring the suitcases back, go to reception to pay bills, get my passport and make sure there is nothing else to do, and then leave the ship.
Now the fun begins............


St John's visit 2011                         Flying from Antigua 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment