To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Sunday 27 December 2015

Boxing Day plus one - a sea day on the Marco Polo

Just to let you know that today started well, and then ended up with the ship feeling like a bucking bronco.   OK - maybe it wasn't quite that bad, but............

As I said, it started well.  Well enough for passengers to explore the back deck and enjoy a bit of sun.  Peter's classes went well and I spent my time reading.  But as the day progressed, a swell built up that that just got  worse.  The sky grew dark,  drizzly rain washed the decks and everybody huddled inside.
I was feeling quite proud of myself because I wasn't feeling ill despite the rise and fall, but I wasn't hungry at dinner and the up and down got steadily worse. We were still looking forward to the evening's pantomime, Cinderella....  we'd been promised a new twist. 

We sit at the very back of the show lounge which is at the front of the ship. (So we are the closest of all to the front end.) The ship was pitching up and down like a see-saw as the swell lifted us higher and higher, each time just dropping us several metre.  My stomach tried several times to leap out of my mouth.

The pantomime was very funny, as much because of the mistakes as the script and it kept me distracted while the ship heaved, but as it ended, I couldn't wait to get downstairs.  As usual - straight for my bed, to stay there until morning.
So that was our sea day. Tomorrow afternoon we reach Arrecife, Lanzarote. Peter and I are on tour to the Fire Mountains. Cool

No comments:

Post a Comment