To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Friday 20 May 2022

Friday 20th May - We're off on a cruise! Saga Spirit of Adventure - The Mediterranean

So we have to get down to Southampton ready to board the Saga ship Spirit of Adventure tomorrow.  We were mostly packed and this morning was just about getting the last items packed, switching everything off, emptying bins etc.  It seemed to be a day full of silly little it’s all going against us moments. Even to the point of leaving the house. 

As we stepped out, it was raining, which was when I remembered I meant to buy a little fold up brolly from a selection I’d seen in Boots yesterday. I asked Peter, "Can we just nip into town before we set off?"  But I needed my Boots card, and I’d leftit in the house, so in I went to find it.  I couldn’t, and, not wanting to delay any longer, went back to the car.  We left the drive and Peter drove into the market place and let me out outside the shop before driving off to do a circuit around the market square rather than park. 

The brollies were just inside the door of the shop, so I picked one up and went to pay.  It was then realised that my purse was still in the car…… Putting he brolly back, I went looking for Peter, who of course couldn’t be seen.  Eventually, he pulled into a parking space, so I got my purse,went back to the shop, grabbed the brolly and went to pay for the second time.  That's when I found I'd had my Boots card in my purse all along.

Once we had properly set off, traffic was bad, and we used Google to tell us where the delays were so that we avoid them, we ended up getting stuck in alternative slow traffic, driving through Boroughbridge, and saving no time at all.

Then, when leaving services after a pee stop, there was suddenly a really loud rumbling noise.  Peter sez “that’s not us is it?”  The noise lessened, but the steering wheel was shuddering.  We pulled into an emergency layby, and there is this awful smell of burning from the car.  We walk round it, try to see underneath, check the tyres…..  Nothing!

So we set off again, and the steering wheel is still still vibrating, but the car is running fine.  Then we remember….  This is Dolly (our name for our car), and she often scares the life out of us. We think we may have run over something that make got caught in the workings temporarily.  Within half an hour, the car was running as smoothly as ever, and the incident was forgotten.

Things got better after that, we had a relatively smooth drive down, despite Friday traffic.  As we got nearer to our Travelodge, I ordered a Chinese takeaway to be collected just as we arrived, they would only accept cash and we didn’t have any.  But Peter had been uber efficient and checked our road yesterday, and knew where Tesco Express was.  In complete contrast to the start of the day, we smoothly picked up some cash and our breakfast, then the Chinese, and drove into the Travelodge car park about 7.30pm.

Stage One Complete.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment