To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Saturday 21 May 2022

Saturday 21st May - Covid Testing and the Spirit of Adventure

We are in Southampton, and we don’t have to be at the port until about 12.30, so we’ve had a very lazy morning in the Travelodge.  We got breakfast (BLT for Peter, breakfast bar for me), from Tesco’s last night as we trying to isolate as much as possible before getting on board.  Saga have very stringent protocols for Covid, and everyone is tested before getting on board.  Last thing we need is to test positive, if we do we’ll be sent straight home again.

I’ll admit that when on board ship, I get paranoid about these things.  Not that I’m worried about getting Covid-19, that in itself doesn’t bother me, not at home anyway, because we don’t mix much  and if I get it, I won’t be passing it on.  The only person I have to answer to about it is me.  But when on board, there are so many people we interact with, even before getting there.  If you get sick on board, you become like a pariah, and you could pass a disease on to so many people before you know it.  The whole thing stresses me out and I start getting very anxious.  I wish I was more like Peter.  He worries very little. 

So as we approached the cruise terminal, I am quite nervous.  Peter on the other hand is excited.  The testing process is very slick.  Two tests were carried out, the quick tickly nose one, and a saliva test that is sent off to labs to make doubly sure.  It was also very quick, and before we knew it, we had both been cleared (by the tickly nose one) and directed to unload our baggage.

Stage Two Complete

 

We hadn’t got a cabin number yet, (we were very late in receiving paperwork for the cruise) but the baggage handling guys were on the ball.  They knew our cabin number, and made up and attached our luggage labels.   The luggage was whisked away and Peter was sent to park.  Once he had walked back, we went inside the terminal to be issued our cruise cards and wait for boarding.

I was impressed how this little crane was designed to lift cages up to the ship for loading cargo and luggage
 

And even that was very quick, we hardly had time to go for a pee before they called us to make our way on board.  Waiting for us were a queue of stewards ready to who show you to your cabin.

And what a cabin!  It’s only a “standard double” cabin in Saga terms, but for the first time ever, we have a balcony.  There is tons of room for the two of us and everything looks new, quite luxurious, well designed and modern.  Peter was beaming from ear to ear.  In his words he felt like an imposter, that we aren’t supposed to be here. 

 

This is a new ship though.  Spirit of Adventure only came into service July last year.  Modern features such as free wifi throughout, usb charging ports, LED lighting and lamps (so many different switches)  big screen tv’s, decent showers all come as standard.  After years of travelling on ships up to 50 years old, we very much appreciate these things.

So after a quick check of our cabin, we go off for a wander around the rest of the ship.  It is everything a new, quality, cruise ship should be, everything is shiny and clean. There are so many different places to relax, both inside and outside.  Thee central auditorium is smaller than some we’ve seen on other ships, but I quite like that, I also liked the look of the many dining rooms, the lounges, and particularly the library.  I really liked the way that space was created.  Outside there is a promenade deck on level 6 (4x round = 1 mile), the sun decks and the lido deck, which has the pool, and the ice cream machine.





As I said, Saga are very Covid conscious.  Everyone has to wear masks when moving about inside the ship, which is something I will have to get used to.  I hate them, but I am conscious of an older passenger base (average age 76 this cruise), and the enclosed surroundings.  So I am being good.  I might even get used to them.

The Craft Room - this will be where Peter will work



Peter had a meeting at 4pm with the cruise director and the other guest lecturers, entertainers etc.  We met Julie and Rolando, who’ll be keeping us right, and the Crafts instructor, Terena Slocombe.  We discovered that previously, the Art and Crafts attendees have been “super spreaders” of a cruise, and Saga are being very careful about the way the classes are run.  For this reason, no classes tomorrow until the all clear is given from the covid tests sent to labs this morning.

 




5pm was the fire drill.  The most unusual one we’ve ever attended.  We had to watch the fire drill video on our big tv (which we did, twice), and then when the alarm sounded, make our way, without life belt, to our muster point and check in.  All very easy.  I can only think that the system knows when the video has been played in each cabin, and that is how the ship can prove that the training has been given.  And with Saga being very Covid aware, they are looking for ways to minimise the need for passengers to come into contact with each other.

So now back into the cabin to try and unpack, enjoy the balcony, and just settle in.  We have a dinner booking (tonight only) in the Grill (one of the ship’s restaurants) at 6.45pm.  At the moment, lecturers etc are restricted to a certain area of the restaurant, where there are no passengers.  I think the worry is that the last thing the ship needs is for its entertainment team to be spreading Covid, amongst the passengers, so they are keeping us away from them.

We ate in the grill at lunch too, which was buffet style and really nice (Lasagne), the evening meal was from a menu, and I must admit, I didn’t enjoy it quite as much.  I must remember to ask for extra servings of vegetables.  We sat with Teresa and her husband Gerry.  They are obviously very keen cruisers and have travelled quite extensively.  I think I like them both.  The ship set sail about 7.30 as we sat in the restaurant gassing.

And finally back to the cabin, to finish unpacking, drink coffee and watch the Isle of Wight go by from our balcony.  I’m not quite as relaxed as I should be.  I know we are due another Covid test tomorrow (every passenger is), and as I have said earlier, I get quite paranoid about it all.  But we are in, we are settled, and we are on our way.

Sailing past the Isle of Wight

 

Stage 3 complete.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment