To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Monday 10 April 2023

Bank Holiday Monday 10 April. First Sea Day, First Classes

Last night as expected the sea was a bit bouncy, rocking us in all directions. As a result I didn’t get much sleep.  The alarm went off at 7.30, and the ship was still rocking, making me feel queasy. I tried to eat a little breakfast as that is supposed to make you feel better.  All I could manage was a few bites of toast and a bit of egg.  I couldn’t even face the thought of coffee!

Peter is to run his classes in the Coast to Coast restaurant which is new for him, so we got to the restaurant a good hour before the class to give us the time to work out what, where, how. We were scuppered because the chef team also uses that space every morning to hold a daily meeting, and we had to wait until they’d finished.  So it wasn’t till 9 that we started covering tables and setting things out, just as the passengers started to turn up to register.

Many of the passengers that turned up were like me, feeling a bit off. One lass felt so queasy she left mid session. But generally, the class seemed to go well. When it finished, we cleaned up and set up again for the afternoon session.  The sea had calmed down a little and I was OK to eat lunch in the grill.  Breakfast and lunch are buffet style there.  The menu’s are extensive, and you are served by the chefs and staff, who are happy to put whatever you want on your plate, and as much or little as you ask for.

The afternoon class was a bit busier and Peter started to get into his rhythm.   A couple of the passengers came to me after the class telling me how good he was as a teacher.  I just kept replying “I know.”

 At the end of the session, we had to clean up and leave the area as we’d found it.  We’d found it with a load of boxes with art kits in and we hoped we could get away with using those now empty boxes to store our supplies in until tomorrow.  In a bit of a gamble we left them neatly piled in the corner.  A phone call later from Bradley told us that the gamble failed.  We have to accept the fact that we will have to carry the art supplies the length of the ship on a daily basis.  (It was worth a try.)

Whilst Peter has been teaching today, I’ve been trying to update this blog.  It turns out that the Saga wi-fi will not let me work properly with Google Blogger. After several frustrated attempts, I’ve started testing a few different sites and ideas, abut came back to Blogger.  Still causing me problems though and can only use it properly when on 4G. 

After a nap (lots of napping on ships, it must be the rocking motion), it was a quick wash and change before going up for dinner.  There are several restaurants on board, but we prefer the Grill up on deck 12.  Our cabin is on deck 7 so despite best intentions, we are taking the lift up and down.   As per last night, we ended up talking to the couple on the table next to us, he was ex military, soft spoken and full of stories that we found difficult to follow amongst the noisy chatter of the rest of the restaurant. He didn’t like Prince Harry though, that was very clear.

We ended the day in the cabin, me battling with blog issues, Peter just looking after his online stuff.  It’s too cold and windy outside to enjoy the balcony at the moment, although we did try.  I’m hoping for a better night’s sleep this time, but the ship is moving about a bit again. 

Tomorrow is another sea day, I’m hoping it will smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment