To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Thursday 27 April 2023

Thursday 27th April – Gibraltar Straits

I was looking forward to this bit.  As the ship passes through the straits, there is a good chance that you can see loads of migrating wildlife, especially at this time of year.  The Captain had said we would go past Gibraltar at about 9 am, which would give time to get breakfast and then the art class ready before going out on deck.  Part of me did think it would be wise to go out early – but that would mean getting up!

At breakfast, about 8.15, dolphins were seen alongside the ship, and the photographer leapt up to go on deck saying “this is it, time to go…”, but I kept to my original timetable and was finished at the Coast to Coast by 9 am, and went out to see what I could.

And there was nothing!  We’d gone past Gibraltar a good hour earlier, and now we were heading on out to the Atlantic.  I felt quite depressed – I’d missed it all.  (Although to be honest, I don’t know if there was a lot to see)

I wandered around the decks, looking out to sea.   I could still see land, maybe there would be something………

I noticed a few moths on the decks, and that cheered me up slightly.  I took photos for ID later.  Then, as I was checking out a few sea birds, I realised I was watching something large and brown flying just above the waves.  Not a sea bird, an eagle or raptor of some kind probably.  It looked tired as it flew, just skimming the waves, I really hoped it was going to make it.  A couple of birders alongside me also saw it, if I see them again, they may be able to tell me what it was.  I felt slightly better now, I’d seen one of the things I’d wanted to see all this trip, one of the birds of prey crossing the straits.

And as the day went on, things got better.  Walking the decks later with Peter, we came across more moths, including a very nice Striped Hawk-moth.

Later we were entertained by a couple of wagtails hopping around the decks.  It took the help of another birder to confirm that they were Yellow Wagtails. 

And a little more icing for the cake, (or should that be ice cream?) We cleared up after the second class and this time decided to go to the Lido Deck for ice cream.  They have a whippy machine that you can help yourself too, and it is reeeallly nice, thick, whipped ice cream.  Two massive tubs later, we decided we’d had enough.  

The other thing of note today one of the other passengers recommended that we watch tonight’s show, a comedy ventriloquist called Jimmy Tamley – he’s been on BGT.  He was very entertaining, and had us giggling away, although admittedly, we knew the end of  a lot of his jokes. Tomorrow is Lisbon.  I checked, tomorrow will be Peter’s 14th visit and my 9th.  We have no plans for tomorrow, just a walk – let’s see where it takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment