To get a better look, click on any picture and you should get a full screen version.

Saturday 8 April 2023

Saturday 8th April. Between Good Friday and Easter Sunday - travelling again

So this is our first cruise since we moved to Keighley.   There is always a "low level anxiety" as Peter puts it, regarding the safety of the house whilst we are away.  We don't know our neighbours yet, and we haven't told them we are going away.  But as we are now close to my best friend from my schooldays (that was a long time ago!), she and her husband have agreed to check on the house.  Everything is unplugged, and I am very efficient at working out food, so the fridge and freezer are now empty and off for the duration, heating is switched off, security alarms and timers controlling lights have been set, and all doors are locked.   Not that there is anything in the house to steal,..... but you know how it is.


So where are we off to this time?  We are on another Saga cruise, "Treasures of the Adriatic", on their ship the Spirit of Discovery.  This is the first time I am seriously looking forward to spending time on a ship and I put that down to the very excellent cabins provided.  I am sooooo looking forward to sitting on the balcony, with binoculars, watching the sea, the wildlife and the world go by.   I've gone and bought meself a kindle version of a Whales and Dolphins book, as well as the kindle version of the RSPB Birds of Europe book, (saves me carrying the hefty versions), I've got me moth and insect field books too. Peter has to work of course (and I have to help him a little), but these Saga ships really are quite luxurious in comparison to what we've been on before, so that helps in making up for it. 

I've also spent a little time researching our future ports to get an idea of what we are going to do there.  Gibraltar is first, and Peter has been itching to walk up the rock it since his first visit 14 or 15 years ago.  He  walked up it then, but was probably a bit fitter and didn't have me with him.  Still, I've agreed to give it a go.......  I wonder how far we'll get up?

I'm writing this first blog post from our room in a Travelodge.  We're in a place called Alton, about half an hour away from Portsmouth.  We are due to board the ship tomorrow afternoon, and we could have driven down tomorrow morning, but not only does that mean a very early start, but there is always the worry that something may prevent us from arriving on time, traffic, car trouble etc.  The travel lodge option just takes away that stress. 

Now, last cuppa before bed, a lazy morning, and hopefully get on board just after midday... ish.   Another adventure begins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment